Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lone Star Arts Fibers

Today I am very excited to share Lone Star Arts with you!! I crochet and I desperately would love to learn to knit, so I have a special appreciation for FIBERS!

Here's the interview with Amanda from Lone Star Arts! Go visit her and say "Hi!"


HSA: Can you tell us a little about yourself and your business?
Hi, my name in Amanda and I'm a complete yarn junkie.  I actually graduated from Texas A&M University (WHOOP!) with a degree in Nuclear Engineering and a minor in math.  My full-time employment is in the Health Physics field.  I'm originally from Huntsville, TX and grew up surrounded by wonderfully crafty people.  My mom and grandma gave me my first introduction to crochet and sewing.   I picked up knitting about 10 years ago and I think I've tried every other fiber related craft out there since then.

You can find my yarns and bags on Etsy, lonestararts.etsy.com.  I'm also on Facebook: facebook.com/lonestararts and on Twitter: @lonestararts, I'm also on Pinterest (Amanda Sullivan).

HSA: How did you learn to spin yarn? 
The first fiber show I ever attended was Kid n Ewe in Boerne, TX in 2006.  I was completely overwhelmed.  I had been wanting to try spinning but didn't have the money to buy a wheel, at that time I thought that was the only way to spin yarn.  My friend Susan showed me how to drop spindle and I took my newly purchased spindle and fiber home and proceeded to attempt to spin my own yarn.  It was a disaster.  After about a month I finally got the hang of it.  Two weeks after that, my husband gave me a used Schacht Matchless spinning wheel for Christmas.  I promptly put my drop spindle back in it's plastic bag and it's lived there ever since.  I learned how to use my wheel through books and videos on youtube, much like how I learned to knit.


HSA: Why did you decide to sell your items?
I decided to start selling my yarns based on the response of my knitting circle.  I've been so blessed to have a great group of supportive friends who have given me advice, helped me at shows and given me opportunities I never would have had otherwise.
BFL Roving in Majesty

Boxy Lady Project Bag

Fusion Fingering Weight yarn in Egypt


HSA: What has been your favorite skein/colorway/fiber to make or work with?
 My favorite colorway has to be Majesty.  I listed it in my shop thinking it was just a disaster and there was no way anyone would want to use it.  It has turned out to be one of my most popular colorways.  I still get giddy everytime I see something someone has knit with my yarns or carrying one my bags.  

HSA: Just for fun, what is your favorite food? Favorite local item/restaurant/store?
Favorite food - I could eat pizza three meals a day.  Love it.  Favorite local restaurant - Aldo's and any of our wonderful mom and pop taquerias.  Favorite store - The Yarn Barn, which is now under new ownership by my wonderful friend Enid.

I love the historical aspect of San Antonio and the people.  I've met so many wonderful people in the time that we've lived here.  It truly is a beautiful city.

~Amanda
 
Thanks so much for your time Amanda!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the opportunity!

    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own several skeins of Amanda's yarn and one of her bag, and they are all awesome, just like she is!

    ReplyDelete